Annoying Cisco ASA/ASDM Bugs–Part 1

We have a number of Cisco ASA devices and on one high availability pair we run OSPF. We do this to allow us to exchange routes with our MPLS provider. When we first set this up we made use of ASDM to display the external routes in the OSPF database – that is type 5 LSAs. This was useful to verify that the expected routes were being redistributed to us from the providers BGP.

ospflsa

Unfortunately the display only listed a few LSAs with the majority missing. After some time chasing our tails to try to resolve the problem, we used the CLI to display the OSPF database and were surprised, but happy, to see all the external routes we had expected.

After some investigating we discovered that the list displayed by ASDM was being truncated at the first LSA with an address that matched an ASA object name. We reported this problem to Cisco and they accepted it as a bug (CSCtq48552 if you are interested).

Well, over a year later it still has not been fixed. I guess the moral from the story is: if in doubt use the CLI and having a bug accepted by Cisco does not mean it will ever get fixed.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *